Profile Setup & Management Guide
Welcome to the Help Center! We’ve worked hard to make the Major Decision app as simple and straightforward as possible, with instructions, explanations and hints throughout.
Here are some things to keep in mind as you apply to become and operate as a Major Decision Student Advisor:
- Your application may not be evaluated (approved or denied) immediately. We run a check of your enrollment status with your college and may conduct other reviews. Our goal is to give you an answer within 72 hours of submitting your application.
- If you don’t get an immediate answer, please do not apply more than once. It will result in duplicate accounts that you and we will have to remove. Otherwise, you’ll have to input and manage the information in two accounts. A second application will not improve your chances of acceptance or increase your potential to earn Referral Rewards.
- If your college is not appearing in our list, there could be several reasons. First of all, it may not have cleared the following hurdles that we’ve applied in the development of the list. Colleges must:
- Be accredited by applicable accreditation bodies
- Be non-profit organizations
- Have at least some physical campus presence (but may offer hybrid and/or online courses in addition)
- Grant undergraduate/bachelor’s degrees
- They may also grant post-graduate degrees, but cannot be solely graduate schools, such as medical or law schools.
- Schools which also offer only Associate’s degrees, certificates or diplomas are also not included (e.g., community colleges, trade schools, etc.)
- Adult education programs are also excluded.
- Be located in the United States
- It’s also possible that we simply missed your college in the development of the list (we’re only human, after all). If you think your college meets the above criteria and should be included in our list, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll research it and let you know.
- Your Referral Code, assigned when you are accepted and your account is initially established, is very important. It’s how you will earn Referral Rewards for helping us expand the Major Decision community. Be sure to supply your Referral Code to everyone, whether high school students and families (potential customers) or other potential Student Advisors, when you tell them about the value of the Major Decision community and encourage them to join.
- There is a wealth of information about the Referral Program and other Student Advisor questions in the FAQs.
- One of the great things about being a Major Decision Student Advisor is flexibility in setting your own schedule. We can accept as many conversation requests as you want and fit them into your busy schedule. You won’t be given a schedule, have to punch a clock, show up at a store or office, or do many of the other things inherent in a “regular” college job.
- You will, however, be required, through a calendar function in your Profile, to indicate blocks of open time in which you’re willing to accept conversations. This lets high school students and their families know when you’re available and eases the scheduling process. If your schedule changes (your college makes it to the dance for March Madness, for example, and you’re going to the game) it’s up to you to update your availability and keep your calendar current.
- As you’re envisioning how your Profile will appear online, there is some information that’s required and will be displayed for everyone to see: your name (only first name and last initial will be shown), your college, your major, and your expected year of graduation.
- You can reveal more about the “real you” with a number of pieces of optional information - academics, Greek life, sports, the local scene, diversity and inclusion, and many more. Be sure you’re comfortable revealing that information about yourself. We give you the ability to turn various information “on” or “off”, so you can tune your profile to provide only the information you want to share. There are more detailed instructions in the forms in your Profile.
- Your Profile is always a work in progress, like you. You can return to it and refine it over time, particularly through your Personal Statement and short video. All this Profile information is your chance to tell everyone what’s unique about you, what you’re passionate about, and what you’d like to talk about in a Major Decision conversation.
- Please be aware that your Major Decision compensation will be paid through an electronic (ACH) transfer to your bank account. The account must be with a US bank, and you’ll need to provide other financial information, such as your Social Security Number, in order to have an active account and be ready to accept conversation appointments, conduct conversations, and get paid. Until the My Money portion of your account is complete, you won’t be available to customers for conversations.
- We’ve taken measures to ensure that your financial information is secure, using a third-party service called Stripe, which is used by hundreds of online businesses and millions of people worldwide. Major Decision does not hold your financial information, the secure Stripe platform does that. That’s how you’ll be paid for your conversation sessions.
If you encounter any issues or have suggestions for improving the Major Decision experience, please feel free to email us at email@example.com.